Mintoris Forum

Author Topic: Who are you?  (Read 40923 times)

Chuck

• Global Moderator
Re: Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:38 AM »
I would be interested, but I suspect that there would not be enough others to make it worth while.  Forth is going the way of Betamax and the dinosaurs.

By the way I just received the Bluetooth serial adapter you suggested.  I was going to get a different one, but the documents on this one seem to be a little better plus I could get it from Digikey.  Unfortunately I will not be able to do much with it this week as we are in the middle of a physical inventory.

That works good for me Starlord.  SQLite is taking longer than I thought.

mrbcx

« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2011, 12:17 AM »
My name is Kevin but some know me as MrBcx (www.bcxgurus.com)

I've been banging out BASIC code, in one form or another, since 1983.  That
was the year I bought my first computer - an Atari XL with built-in ROM Basic.
That's all it took - I caught the bug.

Eventually, I worked my way into programming IBM PC compatibles, at first using
GW-Basic (college class), then TurboBasic (now PowerBasic), a little Pascal, and
8086/80286 Intel assembly language.  With that, I went on to write BASM -
The BASIC to 80286 Assembly Language Translator
which earned me a few bucks
as a shareware product for several years.  BASM is now freeware and open source.

Next came Win32 API programming.  That resulted in my learning C and the Windows
SDK API via my next project:  BCX - The BASIC to C/C++ Translator for Windows.  There
are now forked translator projects targeting Linux and Mac's - sorry, no Androids yet. :-)

I got into Android very recently and quite by surprise.  I won a b&n NOOK COLOR e-reader.
Being the inquisitive type, I googled "NOOK COLOR" and the next thing I know I'm rooting
it, running Android 3.0 Honeycomb off the sdcard, and installing software like there's no
tomorrow on my new-found Android "tablet" computer.  How cool is that ?   :-)

I'm not hip on learning Java but may tinker with the Android NDK (native app support).  I do
see myself wanting to create my own Android packages (.apk) but until I get more experience,
Mintoris Basic and RFO Basic (http://laughton.com/basic) will certainly keep me occupied.

Guido.TS

« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Hello,
my name is Guido and i live in Trieste, Italy (I apologize if my English is not correct).

I started programming directly with machine code on a F8 processor in the early 1970's and the Basic was my second language on a old Apple ][ computer.

I worked for many years at R.T. Industrial Electronic as firmware developer (assembler, C and Java).

yock1960

« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2011, 03:06 AM »
Hi,

My name is Steve, I'm definitely a dabbler‼ I've been dabbling since 1985 when I bought a Commodore 64. I just replaced my Palm Tungsten T3, which I had used for the last 6+ years with my 1st Android phone. I had several programming languages available on my T3 and am happy to find something for my smartphone. PDA's were neat, these smartphones are amazing….at least to an an over the hill guy like myself….what's next‼

TKRoth

• Die Elektronikerseite
« Reply #24 on: Aug 17, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Hi‼

My name is Thomas and i come from Germany. I am programming at any Systems. I have an own Basic System based an AVR Microcontroller. My BasicBeetle can you see at http://www.DieProjektseite.de.

Actually i write a simple Forth-Interpreter in Mintoris Basic.

Sorry. My englisch is not the Best  :(
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2011, 12:03 PM by TKRoth »

ta1dr

« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Hi
my name is Ahmet I live in istanbul/TURKEY
I am Turkish Radio Ametaur. TA1DR is my callsign.
I am working R&D supervisor in biggest company one of the TURKEY
I interestting basic software and PIC microcontroller.ZX81 is my first computer also basic software  first too.I prefer mintoris basic I want to communication PIC microcontroller (robotics app., remote control and home automation )  or other device via Bluetooth.
thanks and best regards
Ahmet
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2011, 11:49 AM by ta1dr »

Ron

• Ron's PICAXE Page
« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Hi, I'm Ron. Back in the early '80s, I purchased my first microcomputer, a Synertek Systems SYM Model 1, and I have been tinkering with computers and micro-controllers ever since. About 10 years ago, I discovered PICAXE micro-controllers, which quickly became my favorite toy‼

For quite some time now, I have been looking for a way to connect my Android phone (an LG Optimus V) as a wireless I/O device for use with various PICAXE projects. When I discovered that Mintoris BASIC includes BlueTooth capabilities, I knew I had to give it a try.

I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way, and I'm hoping this forum is just the resource I need‼

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Hi Ron, It's great to have you aboard.  Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.  I am always open to suggestions on how to improve Basic.

I may have some questions for you.  My Bluetooth robotics demo project is not going as planned.

-Chuck

Froglas

« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2011, 04:37 AM »
I am an amateur programmer.  I have been dabbling with BASIC since the 80's.  I stumbled into at work, didn't know what I had gotten into and had to reboot the computer to get out of it.  Later when I was given a TRS80 I learned what it was and how much fun it is to write code.  I taught myself GWBASIC on my work computer by printing out other peoples code and comparing it to what I had learned on the TRS80.  I began writing programs to help me in my work.  When I got into the Palm OS, I found a great BASIC compiler for it called "iziBasic"and wrote several programs to fill my needs.  Now that I have discovered Android I have been looking for a BASIC compiler for it.  Mintoris Basic is the best I've found though I miss some of the features that were available for the Palm program I was using and the ability to compile into a stand alone program. :)

cadizmadrid

• mycontrolpanel
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Dear Basic users,
I am very excited about finding this incredible project. As a Vic-20, C64, BBC Micro, BBC Master and PC Acu Cobol 85 and PC GWBasic and VB5-6 programmer for years, i am extremely happy to join this community. I have been looking for a Basic programming tool for Android. I can not wait for my Samsung Galaxy Note to arrive next monday, buy Mintoris Basic and start developing basic tools.
Thanks and congratulations on your superb Basic.
Greetings from Gran Canaria, Spain.
Javier (username: cadizmadrid).

DarkMere

« Reply #30 on: Jun 13, 2012, 05:01 PM »
My name is Ken and I can best describe myself at the moment as being a born again coder. I got my first computer in 1981. Living in the UK is was a Sinclair ZX81, 1K memory, black and white only, no sound and block graphics. Programming it was a challenge from a 'fit it in' point of view, where you learned that 'LET W=0' used more space than 'LET W=(PI-PI)'. The years that followed I became a programming junkie, as computers became more and more sophisticated so programming to me became more and more enjoyable. Somewhere around 2000 my interest in programming started to ebb away and I have not coded for years. With the addition of my first ever Android phone and an Android Table, I am being bitten by the bug again and looking forwards to taking up my old hobby. I am rusty so expect to get pestered with questions‼

barryem

« Reply #31 on: Jul 17, 2012, 09:52 PM »
I'm a long retired programmer.  I retired so long ago I forget what year.  Sometime in the mid-90s.

I began programming in the punch card days, first on a Univac 9400 and an RCA Specta 70, working for Harris County, TX.  My boss was formerly with RCA and he headed the team that wrote the OS on our RCA, so naturally I got a lot of systems level training.  That's pretty much what I did the rest of my career.  Some applications.  Lots of systems programming.  I worked in Cobol, assembly, later Basic, C, Forth, etc.  C was my main language most of the last few decades, always with some assembly.

I was also a hobby programmer at home, mostly with TRS-80 computers.

My last job, for 15 years, was with a financial institution where I did mostly systems programming to support applications programmers.

After retirement I started looking for other interests and I found so many of them I all but stopped programming.  Then years later I started dabbling in it again.  I find I've forgotten enough and my ability to focus has diminished enough that I'm pretty much an amateur these days, but that doesn't bother me much.  I spend a certain amount of time playing at programming and I enjoy it.

I've been using Power Basic for a few years to write a few simple games for the people in the retirement home I live in and that's about it.

Writing on my Android device has a lot of appeal for me.  I'll probably just write simple graphics stuff.  I don't have the math or the ability to concentrate enough to do a lot more than that, but I expect it to be fun.

I bought Mintoris this morning after searching for an Android Forth.  The description in Google Play made it sound pretty attractive but the price made me suspicious.  I almost didn't buy it.  Maybe the good reviews were the tipping point for me.  I think you would be wise to have some kind of limited trial version for people like me.  Even if it was severely limited I wouldn't have hesitated to pay for it after 15 minutes of playing with it.

You've done an impressive job with this system.  It's clean and simple and has a lot more stuff than I'm likely to ever use, but I'm sure someone uses it.  The documentation seems good.  Well done‼  And thanks‼

Barry

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Jul 17, 2012, 10:59 PM »
Thanks Barry. I will think about a trial version. That is a really good idea.

-Chuck
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2012, 12:16 AM by Chuck »

barryem

« Reply #33 on: Jul 18, 2012, 05:15 PM »
My comment wasn't a criticism of the price.  It's well worth it.  I just think people need to know more about what they're getting before they spend that much.

Barry

ArielPalazzesi

« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Hello‼

I am Ariel, from Argentina.
I am a 43 year old man, and like the BASIC from 80's :) (TI-99/4A, Commodore 64, MSX, Atari, etc)

Mintoris BASIC is great‼

Thanks for it.

marcus777

• Marcus
    • my stuff
« Reply #35 on: Sep 25, 2012, 05:26 AM »
Please post a quick note here if you are interested in letting the Mintoris Basic community know a little about you.
Greetings,
I am a retired software engineer formerly with IBM (25 years). I am presently occupied in the study of theology (M.Div.). My other interests include music (piano, flute, clarinet) reading, computer science and sailing.
My interest in BASIC goes back to the MITS Altair 8800 in the mid 70's. I wrote BASIC for the VIC20, Commodore64, the TimexSinclair, and the IBM BASICA.
My primary interest in computer science is the lambda calculus, and language design. My favorite research vehicles are lisp, scheme, python, java (Dalvik), C++, and C.  I develop for Android, and for the Linux and Mac platforms. I have completely dropped Windows (never going back) and am really getting into the phone and tablet arena.
Having said that, I still have a devoted almost whimsical nostalgic love for BASIC. I have found the Mintoris version for Android to be a really superb product well worth the price (very nice job Mintoris).
I am running BASIC on the Samsung Galaxy SII and absolutely love it--great app. For all the things BASIC was ever good for (color graphing programmable calculator, games, simple solutions to everyday problems, and just fun) I am really enjoying this product and cannot say enough 'bout it ‼
I am looking forward to a long and fruitful relationship with Mintoris.
m harris
kind regards,
marcus777   <><

harold

• My Favorite Material Posession
    • MyElectronicArt
« Reply #36 on: Sep 25, 2012, 06:30 AM »
Hello Marcus777, I enjoyed reading your memo, Harold.

RobertKlr

« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2012, 03:08 AM »
My names Robert and I'm an electrician for Veterans Health Admin. I am mostly a rookie with basic. Back in the '90s I did some training with basic and was intrigued but the ladder logic of the plc was the direction my job took me. When I stumbled across Mintoris basic I thought I'd give it a try. That was yesterday, today I've already written some short little pieces of code using the accelerometer and I'm hooked. I'm very pleased with the way it runs, it's very fast on my nexus 7 (updated to 4.2).

Pallen

• I messed with Basic on my Commodore 64 and Amiga.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:26 AM »
I new that Java was beyond me from looking at it and remembered messing with basic on my Commodore 64 and Amiga. I never spent a lot of time on it and never got very far but will start by attempting to recreate my first Basic program.
Basic on my Commodore 64, Amiga. Now my Nexus 7.

mau707

« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Im from Italy, Toscany.
Im basic' amateur and i like program my smartphon, this basic is very good for hobbist like me.