Mintoris Forum

Author Topic: Who are you?  (Read 40924 times)

Jesse

• If life throws a planet at you, pull your ripcord‼
Who are you?
« on: Nov 15, 2010, 02:29 AM »
Please post a quick note here if you are interested in letting the Mintoris Basic community know a little about you.

Jesse

• If life throws a planet at you, pull your ripcord‼
I am Jesse
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010, 03:45 AM »
Hello all‼ I am Jesse Warford. I live in a small town in Oklahoma, where life is still simple. My wife Susan and I have a small farm with some critters. Currently I drive a truck, and I'm out for a week at a time. I consider myself a purist because I do all my Mintoris Basic work right from my Droid X.  :o  I am one of Chuck's biggest fans… just ask him :D

My first computer was a Comodore Vic-20 I bought in late 1982, soon after I had joined the US Air Force. A high school friend still has that computer. I quickly upgraded to an Atari 800, and soon after to a 64k 800XL with dual floppies, where I learned how to transfer the Basic in ROM to the underlying RAM and added 50+ new statements, interger data types, support for over 128 variable names, indented listing, and a few other items. Inspired by Frank Ostrowski's Turbo Basic, WarSOFT Extensions was born, but never saw the light of another computer because of the rapid decline in popularity of the 8 bit computers. During this time I also had a Tandy Co-Co II with dual floppies. It wasn't long and I joined the PC revolution. My first had a green screen, and I ran Night Wings BBS. I've went through many a computer through the years, but I've stayed true to Basic, being strongest in VB6. I am now enjoying Mintoris Basic. Every time I stop at a truck stop or at a shipper or receiver, I'm tinkering with some new basic project.

I enjoy computer programming, an occasional skydive, walking the local creeks with Sue and our dog Boji. Cool crisp night air is the setting for many a bonfire, and good times galore our at the farm.

Y'all be sure to check the Programs and code snippets forum for some of my contributions :)

Jesse
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2010, 12:01 AM by Jesse »

zorath

Re: Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010, 02:32 PM »
I Am Zorath

I Am A Computer programmer, and a great supporter of Basic for the Android. I Use it all the time, both at home and on the go. I Love to program with QBasic which is a much simpler form of basic in my opinion. I Currently Own http://zorath.org which is Zorath Incorporated. We Specialize in website hosting, designing, and game server hosting. we also have domain sale plans for only 3.99 a month gbp that includes everything listed here: http://host24direct.com

If you are interested in owning a domain for 3.99 plus cpanel and unlimited everything please let me know as of i am currently the only employee of host24direct who is allowed to give discounted domain packages. they are origionally 19.99 gbp so being 16 dollars cheaper u cant pass up this offer‼

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:29 AM »
Hi, my name is Chuck Charbonneau and I wrote Mintoris Basic.  I started programming on a Vic-20 in the early 1980's and Basic was the first language I ever used. I went to Illinois State University and worked for many years at LTV Steel as a process control programmer.  While I worked at LTV Steel I wrote an Assembler for the ancient 1960's vintage Gepac 4020 computer. Before that the programmers would hand assemble the machine code and input each eight digit octal number into a teletype. I also did a lot of work with statistical data analysis and wrote a graphic data analysis system. The array manipulation and data graphing commands found in Mintoris Basic are a result of this work.

I started Mintoris because I love the Android operating system and had some idea's for apps. If you are wondering where the name Mintoris came from, I used a random sci-fi name generator to find a free web address  ;D

P.S. Watch Jesse Warford's (Wicked) posts.  He writes a lot of really good Basic code.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2011, 10:18 AM by Chuck »

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:32 AM »
As a professional programmer I had programmed in COBOL and PL/I.  As a hobby, I had a PDP-8/L I programmed in Focal. Then went on to Apple ][+, Commodore 64, Commodore 128 and PC, all in various Basics. I still do most of my programming in QuickBasic, though some in Visual Basic, and of course, Mintoris Basic for Droid Incredible.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2010, 02:05 PM »
I am Dave Fitzpatrick and I have been a programmer since I was in college many years ago.  The first language I learned was Fortran on an old IBM mainframe that I used to grind out a bunch of numbers for my Masters thesis.  Very early in the PC evolution, I had a TRS-80 which was programmed in BASIC.  I actually wrote a few useful programs on it that used all of it's bloated memory of 16K.  That's right, I had the big boy memory version of the Trash-80, not that whimpy little 4K version.  :-)

When I got my HTC Incredible this summer, I looked around to see if there were any "code-on-the-road" programming options for Android based systems.  A few years ago, I had programmed my Blackberry with a language called PocketC, which was actually quite nice and I wrote some nice stuff with it.  Fortunately, I found Chuck's BASIC was available and I jumped on it.  I enjoy making these little handheld devices be more than just phones.  Using Chuck's version of BASIC, I have written some rather powerful computational programs which I use in my consulting business - Electro-Optical System Engineering.

I had an incredibly busy end of the summer and early fall which kept me from being as active with BASIC as I had hoped,  but most of that blitz is finished now and I hope to get back to writing some useful programs I can share with the group.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2010, 04:23 PM by fitz9016 »

schlem

• Slacker Hacker
    • Schlem
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2010, 04:39 AM »
I'm a dabbler.  I make no claims to be an expert or experienced programmer.  I LOVE the idea of a programmable Droid (and look forward to further development of Mintoris Basic and continued exposure of functionality - telephone functions, bluetooth, camera hint hint).  

I started banging on DEC PDP systems, first using punchcards (I must be old), and then dumb terminals, in high school.  I had a bunch of Timex-Sinclair computers, but they had a horrible quality control problem and they all died on me.  Vic-20's, C-64, Franklin Apple IIe clone.  Played a lot of Zork.  I used to use an edlin-like editor in college to edit my computer science homework on the school's mainframe, from the Franklin, with a 300 baud modem.  I can read faster than 300 baud, but it seemed like the sexiest rocket science at the time…  Some time passed, and I talked my way into a job at Microsoft, supporting MS Project (project managing software), which had the distinction of being the most profitable software product that MS produced, with a retail price of around $800.00 (1994).  Project and Excel both had VB for Applications bundled into them, and extending the functionality of a complex program like project quickened my pulse.  (no pun intended - Quicken is not a MS product :^)  Anyway, I wrote a macro virus for the (then) unsecure environment of VBA, called "Ebola".  It was essentially a demonstration of both the power and vulnerability of VBA.  It was heavily commented to educate people on how to avoid exposing their data/systems to malicious intent, and emailed my manager with a random bit of praise for my work whenever it replicated on someone's PC.  I was copied on the emails, so that I had a record for damage control.  I could then email them a "vaccine".  This stunt got me hired in Developer Support, supporting database functionality against C++, VB, and the new web-savvy ADO.  More time passed, and I finally got around to building some small robots primarily with Lego and Basic stamps.  You can find a few videos on Youtube under "Schlemmerwood".  I like MindStorm, but it's somewhat limiting.  I am now working on a new robot design, using Arduino, and a VEX tracked platform. I want to put a webcam on it, with web-based remote control, but that is just a working idea…   PS I love the Android platform and hope to integrate it in my projects with Mintoris Basic.  

After a brief retirement, I decided to become a professional firefighter, and I now work for a medium-sized city in the Seattle area.  I am planning to attend paramedic school next year.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 05:39 AM by schlem »
This space intentionally left blank.

sawphist

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Please post a quick note here if you are interested in letting the Mintoris Basic community know a little about you.
After I retired I started making my living playing the musical saw.
However before that I started repairing and programming computers in 1957 I retired in 2008. My name is Butch Hibben (My stage name is Uncle Butch).
If you are interested you can check me out on my web site WWW.hibben.org
I live in Southern California (Riverside area)

lancegary

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:02 AM »
I'm Lance, and I'm wishing this forum didn't have such a washed out grey text that I struggle to read what I've typed‼ Actually I'm very much a dabbler in programming - I teach and sometimes use programming in the class room. Also I do a fair amount of data analysis and so know some programming for data analysis purposes. I recently acquired a Galaxy Tab and just had to be able to write some programs on it - so I was delighted to discover Mintoris BASIC. Thanks for this. You guys all seem to be a very interesting bunch - I look forward to listening to you all‼

Cheers

Lance

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Thanks for introducing yourself Lance.  I changed the gray text in the input box to a plain black.  Should be easier to read. Been meaning to do that for a while.

uklightman

• uklightman wikispace
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Abd Al-Latif Whiting from London, I am a Senior IT Network Technician for the Local Education Authority, and will be 60 next valentines Day (2011).

I started programming on the Sinclair ZX80 which was the first affordable home computer in the UK about 1979 'ish. I then moved on to the BBC 'B' Computer about 1983 after I left the Army. Followed by the Commodore 128, and the Sinclair QL.

Not had much of a chance to program since then, but have just started with Richard Russels BB4W BBC BASIC program, which you can program just as the original BBC BASIC but it can make use of Windows functions and compile into a self executable which runs on a PC. An ideal way to write programs for the PC as a beginner and a professional.

Having just got my first Android Phone, a Samasung Galaxy S i9000 (which makes my Mac iPhone 4 enthusiasts quite jealous), I was really happy to see a BASIC program which I should hopefully be able to make my own simple apps.

I look forward to interfacing with people here and hope that through this medium I can improve my skills.
Down with gravity‼

RobertG

hi
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:33 AM »
Hi, I don't have anywhere near as much experience in programming as all of you, but since I recently started a little programming in Basic for the pc, I thought i'd pick up for my android. Looking forward to exploring the language‼

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:41 AM »
Welcome Robert.  It's really good to see all the new faces that have been joining lately.

Paul

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:19 AM »
I am a retired software engineer. Among my long past programming accomplishments, I was the author of C for Cromemco, Basic for the Atari 400/800 and Apple DOS 3.1

I had not done any programming for over 25 year having been a manager since 1982. In the fall of 2010, I decided to relive my youth and write a Basic for Android. My version of Basic is in the Android market place and is free to to all. I have studied Mintoris Basic and have nothing but praise for this product. The developer has done an outstanding job. He has created an excellent product that is well worth the price.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:40 PM »
Welcome Paul.  I am very happy you like Mintoris Basic. I've had a lot of helpful feedback from Basic programmers and I've worked really hard to make it a comfortable language to use.

-Chuck

Laszlo

« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:03 AM »
I work as a computer scientist, mathematician; was a university professor, living now in Boulder, CO (USA). I don't want to learn Java, but should like to write simple math applications to check ideas I might have on the road. Equation solvers, Elliptic Curve Crypto and RSA encryption were on my list.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011, 05:36 PM by Laszlo »

BillK

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:56 PM »
The first computer I crashed was the IBM mainframe at Kent State University in 1965.  As part of a science club in high school, we programmed in Fortran and punched our cards and fed them them through the card reader. My program had an infinite answer set and the answer card printer kept spitting out cards.  I think they had to shut the power off.  Anyway, after learning about loop sentries the hard way, I programmed much later on the TRS-80, then the Macintosh in Basic. I switched to PC in the early 90's and have been very actively programming in VBA for Access and Excel. This is done for business which is in the construction industry.  I use PowerBASIC for my stand alone Apps and DLLs. I dabble in other languages.

Was very happy to see Minitoris Basic available for Android. Looks like a lot of effort has been put in to it, and I'm looking forward to contributing in this forum.

/ Bill

Starlord

« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:39 PM »
I got started in programming back when I was in Tech College.  I also worked full time and had a family.  I wanted something to take with me to work with on the job.  So while others were using TTL I had a battery powered prototype system and used CMOS, later adding a 1802 processor.  This got me a job with my current employer.  They make battery powered instruments so CMOS is very important and at the time the 1802 was used in several designs.  Never did much more that dabble with the 1802.  Later I got the ZX-81.  A short time later I found a ROM replacement for the XZ-81 called Tree Forth.  That is when I fell in love with Forth.  But again mostly just dabbled.  Later I got a C-64 and a Forth program.  This was when I did my first real programming.  One of the programs I did was a star system generator for games like Traveler and Starfire.  Next up was a Casio FX-702P for which I had a few useful programs.  About the same time I started creating fixtures at work.  The first few were done entering Z-80 hexcode one byte at a time into an EPROM programmer.  Later I got an Assembler.  Some of those fixtures are still in use.  Later I started using the AVR series, at first in Assembler later I started using BASCOM-AVR.  I have also done many testing programs with VB6 and have started with VB.NET.

I have tried a few times to learn C but it never made much sense to me.  I really should get a round to learning JAVA.  But time and laziness interfere.

Paul

« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:16 AM »
Hi Starloard,

I wonder how many old Forth addicts would appreciate a Forth for Android?

Starlord

« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:16 AM »
I would be interested, but I suspect that there would not be enough others to make it worth while.  Forth is going the way of Betamax and the dinosaurs.

By the way I just received the Bluetooth serial adapter you suggested.  I was going to get a different one, but the documents on this one seem to be a little better plus I could get it from Digikey.  Unfortunately I will not be able to do much with it this week as we are in the middle of a physical inventory.