Mintoris Forum

Author Topic: Version 7.3 - Updating the Reference Manual  (Read 4626 times)

Chuck

• Global Moderator
Version 7.3 - Updating the Reference Manual
« on: Mar 19, 2016, 06:16 PM »
The reference manual upgrade for 7.3 is going to be so large that I thought it best to start it's own topic.

So, I am looking for help and advice with the reference update.  I know many of you have better html and design skills than I do.  I'd like to stick to the current dark theme, but perhaps you know of a better way to present the information.

Below I've attached the top page of the reference manual. How can we improve it? Feel free to modify the html below. There will have to be a new section for the Game Engine. The topics that are marked as new aren't new any more and can be switched to a normal size and color.

Post below if you have ideas.

Thanks
-Chuck

Chuck

• Global Moderator
Re: Version 7.3 - Updating the Reference Manual
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:42 AM »
the css and images for the html are in your Mintoris.Basic/Reference directory.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:58 AM »
This is what I came up with. No radical changes.

basic.html

So the documentation phase has begun. I've put "coming soon" under the game engine link. I think I will keep the reference up to date online as I write the docs.

zakerytclarke

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2016, 05:30 AM »
Id like to see the ability to search through thw manual, and i think it could used some better organization. Idlike the search to be advanced enough that you could type "string" and it would come up with "val ()" or "graphics" and it would come up with "pixel ()"

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2016, 06:03 AM »
Id like to see the ability to search through thw manual, and i think it could used some better organization. Idlike the search to be advanced enough that you could type "string" and it would come up with "val ()" or "graphics" and it would come up with "pixel ()"

Prometheus, you should put that suggestion in the future upgrades board. It's a great Idea. I'm not adding anything new to this upgrade. It's big enough already. Your UTF-8 conversion functions were a stretch.

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 06:28 AM by Chuck »

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2016, 06:06 AM »
Here is my first cut of the game engine reference intro. Feedback welcome.

The key to understanding the game engine mode is knowing how to prepare your images. The game engine arranges everything into 2D graphics “tiles”. Sprites, Text, Backgrounds are all made up of image tiles.

Tiles are arranged into tile sets. A tile set is a collection of tiles that all have the same width and height. A tile set is like a palette of tiles you can use to create a background or animate a sprite.

Finally a tile set is mapped into a tile atlas (or map of tile sets). A tile atlas mirrors the way images are stored on the GPU hardware. This is part of how the great graphics speed is achieved. In fact, you should expect somewhere around 60 fps in the game engine mode.

In an app where many small tiles are used frequently, it is more efficient to store the tile sets in a tile atlas which is treated as a single unit by the graphics hardware. In particular, because there are less rendering state changes by binding once, it is faster to load one large tile atlas one time than to load many smaller tiles as they are drawn.

The following link will always point to the most recent Game Engine Command List.

Command List
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 06:41 AM by Chuck »

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:07 PM »
Well things are starting to take shape. Below is a link to the game engine mode docs online. They will be kept up to date from now on. Please leave comments.

Game Engine Mode

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2016, 02:14 AM »
Below is a link to the

Game Engine Overview

Please take a minute to review it an let me know what is missing. If you were a first time user, what would you like to know?

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:47 AM »
Attached below is a copy of the Basic reference zip file. This version is a Black on White version which should be more printer friendly.

If you put this zip in your Mintoris.Basic folder and unzip it, your reference will change to black on white. I'm thinking this could be a new option.

Let me know what you think.

I've uploaded the new black on white Basic Reference. It should make printing much easier.

Online Reference

Is the font size too big?

-Chuck
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:13 AM by Chuck »

talun

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:02 AM »
Chuck,

In my opinion this is a good option for people like me who have difficulty to read highlighted texts on a black background due to photosensitivity of the retina. if it were possible set up a background color similar to that of many of forum websites with RGB components around 230/230/240, it would make even more very restful the reading

bye

Sergio

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 04:25 PM »
In my opinion this is a good option for people like me who have difficulty to read highlighted texts on a black background due to photosensitivity of the retina. if it were possible set up a background color similar to that of many of forum websites with RGB components around 230/230/240, it would make even more very restful the reading

I'd like to keep the background white so that the pages can be printed with a minimum of printer ink. I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:21 PM »
I've updated the light theme as you suggested.

Attached below are the stylesheets/css for the light and dark themes if you want to take a crack at adjusting them. They are pretty straight forward.

talun

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Thanks‼

bye

Sergio

WandaTog

Version 7 3 Updating the Reference Manual
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2019, 03:03 AM »
Your question how to regard?