Mintoris Forum

Author Topic: PDP 1 - Spacewar  (Read 8790 times)

Chuck

• Global Moderator
PDP 1 - Spacewar
« on: Jun 30, 2015, 11:28 PM »
The first expansion I intend to make will be an emulation of the very first video game, PDP 1 - Spacewar. You will be fighting other ships in a system with a gravitational mass in the center. I think this will be some sort of dense matter or star remnant. Once the ships are destroyed the Jump Gate will unlock and you will be able to exit the system.

This will be a one system expansion that will be like a sub-game within the main game. I guess any time you leave your home system you will be in some sort of sub-game.

You will get the coordinates to this system by discovery (salvaging wrecks) as usual.

Creating this new system will involve adding the concept of gravity to Space. Up till now everything has been in free fall. So I will be adding a gravitational attractor feature to the game engine.  The AI in the raider ship may need to be modified to navigate in a gravitational field. Should take about a week.

I think the opponent ship will just be the standard Xray Raider (Below).

If you have any ideas that may improve this expansion, please post below.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2015, 11:48 PM by Chuck »

zakerytclarke

Re: PDP 1 - Spacewar
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2015, 01:03 AM »
I am very excited about this. I am a total vintage computer nerd, and this is a great first addition to you game. Combat  will be interesting since your ship is a sphere ???
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2015, 04:43 AM by prometheus »

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2015, 01:40 AM »
Just hope I can do it justice. Since play field extends off the screen it might take someone a while to realize they are in orbit.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2015, 01:56 AM »
I'm kind of fond of the spherical command ship, but there are provisions in the game engine for changing out the look of the command ship. Possibly during ship upgrades.   It's in there, but it's not something I want to get into right now.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2015, 10:35 PM »
I put in a full day on this new system. I named it XN8 or Xray Nebula Eight. I had thought of putting it in system PDP but it has Xray Raiders so it should be in the Xray Nebula cluster.

The whole system is in place except for the gravitational attractor. In the old PDP-1 Spacewar it was fixed in the middle of the screen. Should this massive object be fixed in place or should it move thru the system?

-Chuck

-It sure is nice to have the tree up and finally putting ornaments on it.

zakerytclarke

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2015, 04:46 AM »
I would suggest that it be fixed in space. It would also be very neat if the kinetic rounds bent with gravity, even though this wasn't in the original game. It would make it more interesting to shoot around the sun. Just my ideas.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2015, 04:52 AM »
The kinetic rounds have mass, so yes they will bend with gravity. (If I can get the math right).

zakerytclarke

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2015, 05:08 AM »
Also,and this is totally nerdy, in the original spacewar, the stars behind it actually represented the northern hemisphere  constellations. They rotated as they would be seen from Earth and it took a whole two hours to go from orion to orion.  ;) I think that is worth adding.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2015, 05:15 AM »
Also,and this is totally nerdy, in the original spacewar, the stars behind it actually represented the northern hemisphere  constellations. They rotated as they would be seen from Earth and it took a whole two hours to go from orion to orion.  ;) I think that is worth adding.

Ouch. I think in balance my time could be better spent creating new modules instead of adding that detail. I read the original game took 200 hours to write. I'd like to keep this one around 20-30 hours. The gravitational attractor will be a big enough extension of the game engine. Good idea tho.

zakerytclarke

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2015, 05:33 AM »
Luckily for you, you have an Internet full  of pictures of the constellations  unlike those hackers 

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2015, 05:42 AM »
Tempting, but I don't own the rights to that image.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Looks like the math is similar to jclemens Black Hole System.bas program. I just need to combine acceleration due to gravity with the ship or AI controls.

Black Hole System
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2015, 06:34 AM by Chuck »

jclemens

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Yes I am always excited by Newtonian gravity. In the black hole program there was the effect of the central black hole and the force between each of the planets pairwise to calculate n^2 different forces. This should be no problem in Java. I like the idea of the missiles having gravity. Of course this makes hitting your target very hard: if you don't have the angle and speed exactly right, you will likely have some elliptical, parabolic, or hyperbolic orbit to somewhere rather than a direct hit. Also the possibility of the missile rounding some object and heading back towards the launching ship.

I will buy your current app this very day‼

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Thanks jclemens, I will start work on the gravitational attractor today. I'll post my work.

There is another feature of Spacewar (Hyperspace) which I will not be implementing. We may not have a short hyperspace jump, but I think that our shields are a good trade off.

-Chuck

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2015, 01:04 AM »
I've attached the last build of the day below. I'm only going to leave it up for a day so get it while you can.

The new XN8 system is now in the game. You can get the coordinates to the new system by salvaging wrecks. It drops sometime after you get the coords to XNI.

Let me know what you think of the new system. A system is so big in Space that you have plenty of room to get out of the gravitational field. I have a temp graphic in for the gravity well and 3 raiders come in and shoot at you every 5 mins. Just enough to test the concept. It seems like something is missing. Perhaps it needs more than one gravity well.

-Chuck

I also attached a saved game where your home system is fully built and you are ready to jump to XN8. Just put Sigma.sav in your Mintoris.Space folder on your sdcard. This will overwrite your existing Sigma save slot.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2015, 02:41 AM by Chuck »

zakerytclarke

« Reply #15 on: Jul 03, 2015, 02:46 PM »
I played it, unlike the first sector, it was very easy. Maybe the black hole should be stronger? And I wouldn't be opposed to having multiple black holes 

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2015, 05:11 PM »
I played it, unlike the first sector, it was very easy. Maybe the black hole should be stronger? And I wouldn't be opposed to having multiple black holes  

Yes, I think that the different screen size and shape form the PDP-1 requires more than one gravity well in a system. I think that we need a new ship that runs and hides instead of attacking. Then the zone would then be a chase instead of a shooting gallery. The opponent ships can jump from gravity well to well and orbit each in turn. Just need to figure out the math that would put something in orbit.

Should the reward for this zone be the same as the reward for the battle ship in XNM? Or, should the exit jump gate take you to XNM as a sort of back door to that system? So you would have to complete this zone then defeat XNM (if you haven't already). Then you could go home.

jclemens, you may be able to answer this. If grav accel is G*M/(Dist^2) how do I calculate a velocity vector to put something into orbit (given Dist).
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2015, 05:18 PM by Chuck »

zakerytclarke

« Reply #17 on: Jul 03, 2015, 05:34 PM »
I think there should be a different reward, maybe the ability to colonize in this system? It would be interesting  because of the distinct gravity. I also think the missions should be treated separately.

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Well, I could open up the system for colonization, but I would like this system to reset after you leave so you could play it over and over. Besides, I tried putting asteroids in the system and they quickly get captured by the gravity well.

How about, for a reward, the tech specs to build a shepherd bot that would go out and tame the asteroids in a system?

Chuck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Jul 04, 2015, 03:05 AM »
Well, I spent all day working on the graphics for the gravity well. Size, rotation and tilt are all random. Otherwise the game is exactly the same as yesterday. Tomorrow I will extend the game engine to accept up to 4 gravity wells in one system. I think that's about the max you could put in a system and still have enough room to move about.

So I'm thinking that I'll put 4 wells in the system at the 4 points of a square. The jump gate will be right in the system and the command ship's wormhole should appear in it on entry.

I'm thinking I'll create an new ship for this zone. I'll use the graphic below. These ships will orbit the wells and protect some sort of object that orbits closer in. These new objects will have low hit points but high experience. So if you can get close and touch them with your shields (to kill them) you will get big experience points.  The trick will be to get in close and escape again. The whole thing will force you to do tricky orbits around each gravity well. Once everything has been eliminated the jump gate will unlock and you will be able to exit.

Oh, i also attached the new gravity well graphic.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2015, 01:47 AM by Chuck »