Got this email today, Don't know what I'm going to do about it yet.
Good morning Charles,
I don't know whether or not you know it but the lattest rounds of updates from 7.5.11 has (as far as I am concerned) has completely trashed the Game Engine. My interest in the Game Engine is to design and use GUIs for calculations and the display of results (it has a lot to do with the tax man here in Spain). I have tried HTML and the Graphics modes but I find the Game Engine most pleasing, that was until the fonts started changing.
At the very time the fonts started to change I was investigating upon how I could improve on the appearance of a GUI originally specified in portrait mode and then subsequently displayed in landscape , I had it already sorted out going from 800/1280 on my tablet to 720/1184 on my phone. When the text started to shrink then regrow I thought no problem, I can tweak the locations so I was basically interested in the size and locations of the font rather than the operation of the Game Engine. It wasn't until I decided to compare a GUI in operation to a screen dump of a GUI using the original fonts and Mintoris 7.5.11 that I realised something had catastrophically gone wrong in the Game Engine, at least for me.
My modulus operandi is as follows:
I include two files of my own:
Game Engine GUI Constants to remind me what the numbers mean and Game Engine GUI.bas to do all the routine work.
I rely heavily upon arrays. The arrays are specified in an initialising routine and define the size, location, text values and input limits of objects.
Where appropriate the Game Engine GUI.bas builds up Arrays of Game Engine objects. Everything is referenced by the currently selected array index.
The Game Engine GUI keeps a track of everything that's going on, carries out input range checks, moves sliders and issues warnings.
I do not provide a cursor to move around in a display window instead I write the data over the display I keep a check on the width of the text to be displayed. Should the text string be embarrassingly long the window update is frozen and a warning issued. If the display window has more than one line and the data can be wrapped then the data is automatically wrapped to fit inside the display.
This separates the housework carried out by the Game Engine GUI.bas from the real work to be carried out in the main program.
My two devices are as follows:
Samsung Galaxy Tab A, model no SM-T280, Android 5.1.1 screen size 800x1280.
Motorola Moto G Play , Android 6.0.1, screen size 720/1280 (1184 usable).
I have tried the latest version of my code on both devices and the oldest archive I could find for the tablet, all results are simular. All worked perfectly before the recent changes.
As a taster I have included some screen dumps to show what is going on, I am not interested at this stage in the text locations, as they can be tweaked.
The first program I wrote as a proving exercise I called 'Game Engine Demo', it had to do something so I gave it 'de Moivre's formula'.
I do not have a screen dump for the 'before' so I will talk through in inputs.
A reset is applied upon start up.
The main display displays 'Reset, a long press on clear'.
Root is set to '2'.
Real and Imaginary are set to '0'.
The index reflects the position of the slider which is set to '1'.
The 'Dec', 'Set Index' slider and 'Inc'. buttons are disabled.
The 'Doodles' are of little consequence although there is a little problem with the slider input, it is the same problem as the 'Set Index' slider.
The 'OK' button is disabled as the number '0, j0' is invalid.
'Root' is selected and the value '2' deleted.
'Root' is set to '5', 'Real' and 'Imaginary' set to '1'.
The 'OK' button is enabled as '1, j1' is a valid number.
'Root' displays '2', it should be '5'.
'Real' and 'Imaginary' both display '0', they should display '1'.
OK button operated:
The calculations are carried out and the 1st of 5 results are displayed in the results window.
'Set index' slider is scaled 1 to 5.
The results fail to wrap where it should at the point where there is a space ' ,j'. The 'Set Index' 'Inc' and 'Dec' buttons:
Only 4 of the 5 possible values are displayed, the 'Index n =' display remains at '1', it should follow the slider and inc and dec buttons.
'Set Index' slider:
Only 4 of the 5 possible values are displayed.
'Set Index' 'Inc' to maximum and the 'Result' window momentarily selected:
The main display displays '(Index 5)^5 = 1, j1'.
Then the program starts to get unpredictable‼
I have thrown in three more screen dumps, two of the 'Impuesto Para Jubilados Sin Hijos', 7.5.11 and 7.5.16 and one of a modified 'Hello world', 'MUM' and the datum have the same screen coordinates.
I know I am using the Game Engine in an unusual way but I am sure others will be having problems (just like the fonts). If you would like me to send my source code then I would be please to comply. It's a nice clean font.