login

register

Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the details of FormatTime$ placeholder z?  (Read 282 times)
Charlie

« on: Jun 10, 2017, 08:14 AM »

Being pretty much of a non-traveller, I've always looked at the blurb under the map on my DayMap program and seen something like

Sat Jun 10 1970 10:59 am EDT   23  40.83N 74.18W

with the part up to 23 left justified and the latitude and longitude right justified, but on a recent trip to Europe, expecting EDT to be replaced by CEST or CEDT (Central European Summer/Daylight Time), I got instead GMT + 2:00, causing the 23 (the declination, or latitude, of the sun) to be intermingled with the local latitude.

What determines what you get with the z code in FormatTime$?  Is Canadian maritime AST and ADT used when applicable? What about most of Arizona, which doesn't go on daylight time and is MST all year round? ... does that get coded as PDT, which is also GMT - 7 hours, but is consistent with U.S. DST date rules? I don't know what information is supplied by the operating system to the Basic interpreter, and what (and how) is coded as a translation by Chuck.  If the U.S. changed its daylight saving time rules, would that require a change in the interpreter code? Is there a way of "faking out" the program to test what it will look like in other time zones without actually going there?

I'd think that if any particular zone were not specifically named, that GMT+2 would be a better code for GMT + 2:00 when integral-hour zones are specified, as it's less likely to foul up formatting designs. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: