login

register

Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: App creation on Android  (Read 1309 times)
zakerytclarke

« on: Jul 10, 2016, 07:41 AM »

Will there ever be the ability to compile directly to an APK on android? That would be an incredibly useful feature.
FabianClub

« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2016, 02:44 PM »

Yes! I totally agree!!
It would be an excellent idea !!
 Cheesy
If the creators of Mintoris want to earn some more money, they could make a new application that serves to create the finished apk, based on the program made earlier in Mintoris Basic.
FabianClub

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:10 PM »

Will there ever be the ability to compile directly to an APK on android? That would be an incredibly useful feature.

Any news of the direct compiler?
Chuck
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:46 PM »

Any news of the direct compiler?

Well, as you probably know, I'm right in the middle of writing the Version 8 upgrade. So far I've mainly focused on rewriting the compiler and the language kernel. When I started this upgrade (last October) I did some research which leads me to think I will be able to create an APK directly, but a chain of if's all have to come true for it to work. As far as progress, I haven't even started that part of the upgrade.

On the plus side, just about everything else that isn't quite right with Mintoris Basic is going to get fixed in this upgrade. Alpha testing has already begun on the language changes. It'll run all your old code at least 3x faster, while expanding the language. This is going to be a Basic worthy of the 21st century. Ask me about your favorite limitation and I'll tell you how it is going to be fixed.

I may roll out the features in several releases. 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, just like I always do.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 09:36 PM by Chuck » Logged
FabianClub

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2017, 08:56 PM »

Wow, what good news!
You really are busy all the time to improve our beloved Mintoris Basic more and more, and we are all very grateful for your work!
Thank you very much for your dedication!
Chuck
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2017, 10:30 PM »

I really can't find the words to describe how Basic is going to change in Version 8. If I do my job right, you'll get the Ver 8 upgrade, run your programs and say "It looks exactly the same. What's the big deal?".

Then as you begin to use it you will notice how quick everything snaps into place. Since all Basic programs will be running on background threads, you'll find it impossible to lockup or slow down the UI no matter what your program is doing.

After looking through the updated manual, you will find lots of new operators. Finally you will be able to say i++ or --i, a += 5, and all the other great language features that I've encountered over the years. All this gives the language a feeling of openness and freedom that is hard to describe.

I have heard some people grumble that Mintoris Basic isn't any dialect of Basic they've ever encountered. I just smile and think "Yes, exactly!". This is a new century and Basic (the common tongue of computer languages) needs to be fresh, open and powerful, not locked in a sacred 1982 stasis bubble.

FabianClub

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2017, 05:44 PM »

Hahaha. You are a genious.
For those who wish to stay in 1982 they can buy a Sinclair Spectrum computer.
Hopefully you can do your work smoothly.
Something that I read that many people want (besides me) is that users can compile their applications directly in apk from Mintoris, without using Android Studio. Will this be a very complex job?
Chuck
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:24 AM »

I want to create APKs directly as much as anyone. It does seem hard and complicated now, but I've done some research and MAYBE I will get it to work. That's all I can say for now.
hichame

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:12 PM »

Hello
I think adding more feature ,speed and power to bacic is prioritary now. Since creating apk can be done by android studio.
Good job
FabianClub

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2017, 07:52 AM »

Please, do not take my comment wrong. I'm not comparing it at all. For me Mintoris is the best BASIC compiler.
But I wanted to tell you that there is another BASIC interpreter who added a second application and compiles everything directly into apk. It's called RFO Basic.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2017, 05:37 PM by FabianClub » Logged
Chuck
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2017, 05:58 PM »

Yes, I know RFO and I speak with the author occasionally. I know how they put together the apk and I'm hoping to a little better when I get to that part of the project.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: